By Pat Kelly
I took an impromptu survey of middle school boys and girls, and the following books were suggested as first-rate gifts for a reader. All of these books are series, making the first book or the entire series an outstanding addition to a teen’s library. Phrases such as, “Intense,” “Keeps you reading,” and “Cliffhanger” were used to describe the reads, and all are suitable for guys OR gals.
1. Divergent, Insurgent, and Allegiant by Veronica Roth
2. The Maze Runner, The Scorch Trials, The Death Cure, and The Kill Order by James Dashner
3. The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
4. The Shadow Club, The Shadow Club Rising by Neil Shusterman
5. Unwind, Unstrung, Unwholly, Unsouled by Neil Shusterman
By Ann Yanchura
If you’re lucky enough to have books all over your house or your classroom, then stop and take a moment to feel grateful. There are so many homes and schools where the choices for reading are slim or even nonexistent, and my heart aches for the children and adults who live in a world bereft of the love of the written word.
Most of us reading this blog have been raised to have our pick of many exciting and beautiful titles to choose from whenever we want to curl up and get lost in a book.
‘Tis the season for settling in for some warm winter reading.
‘Tis the season for browsing the bookstores for the perfect gift for your loved ones.
‘Tis the season to share your books and love of reading with others.
‘Tis the season to be thankful for books, large and small, old and new, heavy and light, funny and sad, true and not-so-true.